Saturday 4 October 2014

Drama school research #2

LONDON ACADEMY OF MUSICAL AND DRAMTIC ART (LAMDA).
My current course is at South Downs College, Level 3 Acting Extended Diploma Btec.
The grades that I have are;
·         English Language B
·         English Literature B
·         Mathematics D (in progress)
·         Science Additional E
·         Science C
·         French C
·         Business and Communications A
·         Ethics and Philsophy C
·         Geography C
·         Drama C
·         Media (Btec) D*

Modules covered in college so far;
Stanislavski, Anton Chekhov, Physical Theatre (Frantic Assembly)

Extra-Curricular activities related to Drama- Merchistoun Hall Youth Arts (MHYA) is an out of ‘school’ drama club. Joined August 2013.
The skills that I have are organised, confident, reliable, polite, approachable.
Skills, qualities and experience I’ve yet to gain are; a attitude ‘teacher-like’, strict, to-the-point, experience in teaching and working with children.

How do I get there?
LAMDA: Drama school
BA (Hons) Professional Acting- Three year course

LAMDA will help me develop my skills in; Acting, improvisation, voice, movement, singing, textual analysis, Alexander Technique, physical theatre, stage combat and dance for the first year.
In the second year at LAMDA students take part in a Make Your Own Film module. Students get to work with a professional writer and director to create a short film; and in the final year students get to complete the final stage of acting, voice-over and microphone training. They also record a radio play, a professional voice reel and continue to improve their on-camera technique. Students train for a minimum of 35 hours per week and all classes are compulsory.

Finance options:
For UK students LAMDA is £9,000 per year. So for the three years acting course the costs would be: £27,000. UK students are also eligible for financial support (LAMDAs scholarships scheme).
LAMDA doesn’t have its own student halls of residence; but they do provide students with information on finding accommodation in the enrolment packs.  

Skills are requirements to get in:
I am predicted a C in Mathematics and I hope to receive distinctions in my college Btec course. There are no academic requirements for LAMDA apart from students must be able to speak English.
The application takes place online and is at a cost of £49 for UK students, there is no cost for auditions but students are required to attend audition within two/three weeks of notice.

Why is this course for me?
LAMDA provides me with the skills and the different types of acting. As well as teaching about theatre acting they also focus a lot on TV acting, physical theatre and radio which is interesting for me as I want to experience different forms of theatre and acting.
My current skills relate to experience in radio; as at school we had the opportunity to create our own radio station. So I can go into this course with my original knowledge and understanding of radio and excel on this to understand it fully. I've done small roles of film acting but I have only been taught in theatre acting so I would it would be interesting to experience film acting fully which LAMDA can help me do so. 
     All this previous experience and ones that I will continue to learn or learn at LAMDA will help me to fully understand each and every element of acting covering the entire aspects of it to help me become a knowledgeable actor, allowing me to begin to audition for theatre, TV, film, radio and even musicals. n my second year at college we will cover film and radio which will also help me to enter LAMDA with some knowledge to present and extend on. 

The location (London) is negative for me, as accommodation in London is expensive as well as the fees for university on top of that.
The alumni of LAMDA:
·         Sam Claflin – Finnick from Hunger Games
·         Dominic Cooper – Momma Mia
·         Benedict Cumberbatch – Sherlock Holmes
·         Patricia Hodge – Miranda
These are a few of the very successful actors that studied at LAMDA.

Finanically LAMDA is a struggle as it’s a three year course, which of course triples the price. 

Post-training:

There would be no need for further training after LAMDA just auditions for a further job career in theatre.

1 comment:

  1. Great start Issie. Can you be more detailed about why the course is for you? You need to look at your current skills and relate these to the course content. For example, is there something you have learnt/are learning that relates to a module included within the course you may be applying for? If so, how do you hope to develop this and why will this help set you up to become an Actor? Also some text is showing unclear, I don't know if this is due to copy and pasting issue? Please take a look at this.

    ReplyDelete