Saturday 27 September 2014

Voice Portfolio:Posture

Posture

Posture is a huge part of producing a loud and clear voice on stage it also improves your stage presents if you have a good posture. The reason for posture being so important for voice is because the spine is connected to the diaphragm. Actors are often taught the Alexander Technique which keeps they’re postures good; the technique releases any tension the body might have too.
Good posture is key for us actors because firstly it helps us to deliver our lines clearly and loudly and secondly it gives us more of a stage presence giving us the confidence to relax more on stage and fly through lines and movements etc. The actors neutral is the head held high, shoulders relaxed, hands dangling down and fingers loose, legs and feet at hip width apart. This posture on stage allows you to deliver lines clearly and loudly as it frees any bodily parts getting in the way of delivering these lines, such as a slouched back can affect your diaphragm which causes breath control and volume to the voice to decrease. Your character will look a lot more interesting if you are sat upright (even if you think your character isnt one for sitting up straight looking posh, you can straighten your back and use stiff neck and arm movements to portray an elderly character) 

A good posture also shows an open body language because you should have your chest open to the audience allowing breath and voice to be clear and heard. A good posture also helps your vocal health because it allows a clear airway throughout your body, from your diaphragm to your voice box (Larynx.) 

The Alexander technique: A good exercise to help you realign your posture
Lay on the floor, on your back. You can put a book underneath your head if you feel as though you need it. Bring your knees up into a bent position and your hands on your stomach. And relax. This is the correct posture for a human. Go through the bodily parts and imagine fluidity and expansion in these areas. Remember to relax them completely. Listen to your body. Remember to relax your face, toes and fingers as well.
 A big part of this technique is breathing. With your hands on your stomach notice your breathing, don’t change it, just stay natural. Is it rushed? Relax, focus on slowing it down. Make sure that your stomach and chest expand when inhaling and contract when exhaling. The shoulders do not move up and down in this process.

As the years go by, humans naturally create different body habits. Such as the same shoulder for holding a bag or slouching when sitting (the middle body in the diagram). Babies usually have the best postures when sitting as they haven’t experienced anything else. From this exercise I discovered that I have tension in my shoulders, mainly my left shoulder, which is the shoulder that I tend to carry my rucksack on. Previous to this lesson and doing the Alexander Technique I have noticed my shoulders being raised. The first time, when I was cold, the second when I was sat at my laptop, this is because my laptop was slightly higher than my my hips (on a table) which meant that my arms (resting on the table) were higher than normal which led to my shoulders being raised and tense. After trying the Alexander technique in class I discovered the changes in my voice as it was louder and clearer. Any bodily tensions,especially in my shoulders had disappeared and my mind was clear of any thoughts, worries or plans. Yoga and the Alexander technique are also good for stress or nerves.
To improve my posture, I will need to use the Alexander Technique more often. Also, remind myself to change  my rucksack to the other shoulder as this is where I hold the most tension in my body. And to also remind myself to sit up straight whenever I can, as this will have the most immediate effect on my voice as the spine is linked with the diaphragm. 

Yoga is also a good way to improve your posture and it helps you to relax and release any bodily tension. Yoga is a practise of meditation and relaxation for the body and mind. The sun salutation is a sequence of postures which helps improve your posture by stretching and aligning the spine. Finishing with a relaxation of laying on the floor (can be done in the Alexander technique.)


No comments:

Post a Comment