Wednesday 24 September 2014

Portsmouth uni research

Portsmouth University

What skills do I already have?
My current course is at South Downs College, Level 3 Acting Extended Diploma
The grades that I have are;
·         English Language B
·         English Literature B
·         Mathematics D (In progress)
·         Science Additional E
·         Science C
·         French C
·         Business and Communications A
·         Ethics and Philosophy C
·         Geography C
·         Drama C
·         Media (Btec) D*
Modules covered in College so far;
Stanislavski, Anton Chekhov, Physical Theatre (Frantic Assembly)

Extra-Curricular activities related to Drama- Merchistoun Hall Youth Arts (MHYA) is an out of ‘school’ drama club. Joined August 2013.
The skills that I have are organised, confident, reliable, polite, approachable.
Skills, qualities and experience I’ve yet to gain are; a attitude ‘teacher-like’, strict, to-the-point, experience in teaching, working with children. I gained my DofE award which really showed me that I can work well in a team, especially in hard situations such as getting lost in a moor. This skill is great to have as an actor because we are always around other people, directors and other actors. There will be times that we have the responsibility to work on lines individually etc but the main key about being an actor is being with a cast. 

My career aim/ aspirations?
I would like to teach Drama to secondary school students. This job includes being able to work with children, teaching at a GCSE level. The skills/experiences needed for this job role are working with children, organised, confident speaker and talking to others or large groups and clear understanding of performances and exam techniques.

How do I get there?
Portsmouth University
PGCE Teacher Training course
PGCE has three interconnected strands; Professional Studies, Curriculum Studies and School Experience.
·         Teaching and learning process
·         Special education needs
·         Post 16 education and training
·         Curriculum provision in secondary
·         Post compulsory education
·         Aspects of Initial Teacher Training  (ITT)
·         Education management
·         Early years curriculum provision
·         Child health and well-being
·         Digital natives
·         Children cultures

The skills they will help me develop are gaining knowledge in the specific subject including a three week subject knowledge enhancement course.
Finance options include; No fees up-front or pay in advance. PGCE trainees may be eligible for financial support. Alumni discount available.
Halls of Residence fees; the £250 advanced rent (accommodation deposit)
The location is: Very Positive. This course interests me because it focusses on just training to teach which has been something I have always wanted to do. Children cultures and health and well-being will both be something I have never experienced so this course will really teach me new things. I want to go to both drama school and university because I want to bring all my knowledge I have a pass it on to children who want to follow my career path and become an actor or drama teacher. One of my main pulls for becoming a drama teacher was having such a great teacher, whom taught me drama for a full 5 years. She really inspired me and got me into the thrills of acting.

What skills/requirements do I need to get in?
Hoping to receive Distinctions in my college course and predicted a C grade in Mathematics.
Requirements for a PGCE are; achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C in GCSE examinations in English, Mathematics and a Science subject.
There is no audition process for this course but for the interview you are asked to provide a 10 minute teaching session on your chosen subject to teach to a group of students.

Why is this course for me?
What the course offers does support my skills and the career I want to take.
The location is very local to me, which means I can either stay on site or live at home still. The Ofsted report of Portsmouth Uni was very good too.

Post-training
Further education being a Uni course of Drama then onto a PGCE for teaching the subject. Career aims is to become a drama teacher in the future. The course will set me up for a qualified teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment